Thieves looking for a quick take often target vehicles parked at gyms and movie theaters because they know the occupants of the vehicle won’t likely return for one to two hours. That’s why gym and movie-goers are advised to take precautions when parking and exiting their vehicles.
“Think like a thief,” said CSLEA Foundation Chairman Kenny Ehrman. “Do you have valuable items in plain sight, left on the dash or on a car seat? Are you leaving your wallet or purse in the trunk of your vehicle? Did you lock your vehicle and does your vehicle have a car alarm?”
Thieves pick easy and quick targets. Be sure to:
- Park close to the business where foot traffic is heaviest.
- Park in a lighted area after dark.
- Park in an area where there are surveillance cameras.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
- Don’t leave wallets and purses in the vehicle.
- Lock vehicle doors.
- Look around your parked vehicle and report any suspicious activity.