Home for the holidays, or not, be sure to protect your place from those who might want to break in and take what’s yours.
“Between holiday shopping, holiday parties, and going away for Christmas, it’s an important time to remember to lock up and leave your place looking like someone is there,” said CSLEA Foundation President Kenny Ehrman. “We want everyone to enjoy this special time of the year, just take some precautions.”
Tips in keeping your home and property safe:
- Lock doors and windows, including pet doors.
- Place a few lights on timers.
- Do not leave garage door openers in any vehicles parked outside your home.
- Have a friend or neighbor pick up mail, newspapers or flyers left near your home’s entrance.
- Put bikes, tools, garden equipment, and bbqs into shed or garage during your absence.
- Don’t leave spare keys in “hiding” places.
- Don’t leave checkbooks, or other financial information out in the open in your home office.
- Don’t leave valuables in plain sight.