As Memorial Day weekend approaches, the CSLEA Foundation would like to remind you to play it safe this holiday weekend and all summer long, by:
- preventing heat-related illness and sunburn- wear appropriate clothing, a hat and sunscreen, keep hydrated and never leave kids or pets in a sweltering vehicle.
- keeping bugs from biting - use an insect repellant, stay indoors when mosquitoes are active, empty containers with old, standing water, check yourself and your children for ticks.
- taking precautions with water-related activities - never leave children unattended in pools, bathtubs or bodies of water, wear personal floatation devices, keep an eye on those you are swimming with. Remember, in California, the rivers are running high and cold due to the record amount of snow and rain this year.
- preventing injuries - make sure backyard playground equipment is safe, use flashlights when walking at night, wear clothing and shoes appropriate for the activity you are participating in.
- having a designated driver - you can save your life and the lives of those around you by drinking responsibly and never driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
"Memorial Day Weekend is the unofficial start of summer, a fun time of year for families who are traveling together and making memories," said CSLEA Foundation Chairman Kenny Ehrman. "It never hurts to simply scout out the possible dangers and then take a few precautions. Lead by example, play it safe, have a great time!"