Many families choose the summer months to get in some well-deserved vacation time. Whether you are leaving your home for days or weeks, remember to lock up and make your house look like someone is home.
“Vacation is a very special time for families and no one wants to return home to find their house or vehicles have been burglarized,” said CSLEA Foundation Chair Kenny Ehrman. “Packing for vacation can be a very busy time with mental checklists swirling in your head. Keep a physical checklist of security measures to take at home before you take off, so that you can enjoy your travel.”
- If you have a home security system, be sure it is operating correctly, and the company has your correct contact information.
- Keep travel dates private. Don’t share on social media, email autoreply or your voice mail. Wait until you are home to post vacation photos on social media.
- Install motion detector lights if doors and windows of your home tend to be in dark areas or hidden from a neighbor’s view.
- Collect any keys you may have “hidden” on the property.
- Secure pet doors.
- Lock all doors and windows. Consider adding wooden dowels in bottom frame of sliding doors and windows.
- Set lamp timers during evening hours.
- Remove valuables from the sight of doors and windows.
- Mow your lawn before you leave.
- Stop the newspaper.
- Ask a trusted neighbor or friend to check on your home.
- Remove garage door openers from any vehicles left in driveway.